Friday, December 24, 2010

Things I'm Addicted Too

War Movies...Jake Gyllenhal...ellaboration? Gladly.

Ragtag Cinema in downtown Columbia recently played "The Tillman Story" (2010), a documentary about Pat Tillman the professional football player that gave up his multi-million dollar contract to serve in the military. It was a true portrait of his character, as well as a revealing look at the cover up of his death. The mystery surrounding his death made for a good plot to the story, and the people who spoke in the film really gave it a unique voice. It was so effective, that by the end of the film, I was agitated and motivated by the injustice I saw on screen. If I ever made documentaries, that is the type I would make. I have, and always will, believe that film exists to serve as a mirror to society. It should show us what we are doing wrong, either by revealing what has been concealed or highlighting what we overlook the first time, or by showing us what we are doing right. A film should never be made for money or the experience of making a film, it should come from something real that exists and needs to be highlighted.
During "The Tillman Story", there was a point at which a combat camera crew was assembled to take video of the rescue of Jessica Lynn. This bothered me, because that was a place where I felt a camera should not be, and that's when I realized why I am a narrative filmmaker. I believe that there is a time and a place for a camera. It should not be ever present, or a priority in real life. Using it unnecessarily, degrades the art of film and ignores the etiquette of the craft.

I also saw "Jarhead" (2005), recently. I had wanted to see it when it came out, but the poor reviews steered me away from it. Gee was I dumb...I gotta stop listening to other people's opinions of movies to judge whether or not I should watch them. The film was directed by Sam Mendes and I could tell, he has a style and while I may not like it, he kept it in check and told a good story. The film was so intense and hard to watch at times that i had to take breaks and detox. It was a very real film.
I will say that I have always had a very deep respect for men who serve in the military, which may have contributed by my liking this movie. One time when I was like 17 or so, I went to see the Shepherd of the Hills in Branson with my family and they had all of the veterans stand up. The gentleman in front of me stood up, and for some reason, after the show, I felt compelled to shake his hand and tell him thank you. This is not an uncommon urge in my life, but it really has no source that I know of. My family is not a military family, and I have never had anyone incredibly close to me serve, but I will always have that deep respect. From this deep respect, I believe, spring my love for films like "Jarhead" (2005) and "Stop-Loss" (2008). Neither of these films portray soldiers as infallible or superior human beings. They show the true torture that these men go through, physically and emotionally. They show these men at their worst, when they break down from the pain that results from their decision to protect a largely ungrateful country, and yet they still come out as heroes. They may be anti-heroes, but they are heroes, and no one can disagree with that.

On this Christmas Eve, I would like to thank all of the men and women who have served, or are currently serving in any branches of the military. It is because of you that I have the right to write this blog and spend my days discussing art and changing technology. Everyday I wake up and know that my basic needs are secure because you relinquish so many of your rights in the fight to protect them. You're dedication and sacrifices are not overlooked. Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment