Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Kids Are All Right

*Warning*
This is going to be a very personal post.

I'm sure this film was technically very good, I just didn't notice too much because I was really lost in an emotional roller coaster. There were wierd cuts, but that's standard these days, and a phenomenal bit of acting at the end by Mia Wasikowska, who played Joni, in which her mouth twitches between smile and frown as she fights back tears.

My favorite part of this film, however, were the relationships. It's no secret that I love character motivated stories, and this one had so many different characters going through so many different things that I find it hard to even explain. Annette Bening was phenomenal as the over-worked dominant personality, typically portrayed by the man, leading the household by providing financial support and an overbearing presence. Julianne Moore was not to be outdone, however, as the emotionally traumatized, somewhat lost housewife trying to find her way in the world. Then there was Mark Ruffalo who played the very charismatic sperm donor living a rather new age life style. As the relationship between the three of them develops, Moore finds herself caught between her wife and her new found lover, trying to appease the one who sees her role in the family as threatened while convincing the other that he cannot fall in love with her.

The children in this film were absolutely phenominal. Mia Wasikowska plays the new graduate, preparing to go off to college, who ends up dealing with the introduction of the new father figure played by Mark Ruffalo, the problems between her parents, also also her own changing life. As I watched this, I could see my own college career starting all over again. You act out because you don't know how to deal with the changes that are coming your way, and no matter how strong you try to act, your emotions will always get the better of you. And of course, before you leave, there is this sense that you need to know where you stand with everyone in your life and it just isn't necessary.

The brother, played by Josh Hutcherson reminded me way too much of my own brother. He was the awkward, sensitive teenage guy that doesn't quiet fit in with everyone else his age. The entire conflict of the film was started by his own longing to find a male figure in his life worth following as he realized his friends really weren't that great. And of course, every night when he comes home he has the unconventional family that loves him, but causes friction with the people around him.

All of the clashing character types are perfectly portrayed by the actors, and ring so true to real life that you feel awkward in your seat. There is beauty in the awkward moments that you rarely see played out on screen in a believable manner, but their beauty does not make you feel any more comfortable. The story makes you talk to the characters, even though they can't hear you, and feel things you want to forget about your own life.

On a very personal note, the initial reason I wanted to see this film was because I'm the product of a sperm donor and I thought it would fuel my own fantasies of meeting my biological father. In a perfect world, where I was able to find out who my sperm donor father was, I would really like for him to be something like Mark Ruffalo in this film. Perhaps this stems from the very unhappy childhood that I had, which has built a desire to have a different father figure in my life, one that will never exist but I can still dream about.

This film did inspire some very open conversation between my best friend and I, to the point that I think our relationship has reached a whole new level. It definetly inspires new understandings, conversation topics, and knowledge, whether you are seeking them or not.

I absolutely love this film, and apologize for the hodge podge rantings that lacked technical critique. I just don't have it in me to break this one down, sorry folks...soon to come thought, Leaves of Grass, and I promise I will be extra critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment