Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Love Drugs and Alcohol, What a Birthday

Today was my birthday, and for my birthday, I decided to go see "Love and Other Drugs" (2010). This puts this film into the category of movies I have gone to see for my birthday, which includes "Jumper" (2008) and "August Rush" (2007). For 2009, I watched The Departed...it was my 21st and there is a great drinking game for that film.

So, "Love and Other Drugs", the only film I have seen for my birthday that I liked, which is ironic because it was a bad choice for a birthday film, was brilliant. Jake Gyllenhal and Anne Hathaway have perfect chemistry and pull off the role of young lovers with no strings attached perfectly. As the two slowly fall in love, you truly see the subtle changes that turn a physical relationship into a real relationship. You laugh with them, you cry with them, and you mutter things to yourself with no regards as to weather or not you sound like an idiot. Gyllenhal gives an exceptional performance of a young man who seems to find his calling in making money, only to find out that the meaning of life is not to have a lot of money, fast cars, or the perfect wife. Hathaway in yet another stunning performance is a mess of emotion as the parkinson's stricken Maggie. She slowly reveals her symptoms and the audience understands her reservations about love, while cheering for the couple to work out.

The film was brutally honest. It used long periods of silence to make the audience feel what was going on, be it an awkward moment or one of revelation. Not to mention the spot on art direction and soundtrack that gave subtle reminders that the film was set in the 1990s. They were enough to create the world of the film, but not overly intrusive to take away from the story.

All in all, this film was perfect. I forgot I was watching a movie most of the time, which doesn't happen enough. Perhaps there are things I missed because I was too caught up in the story, but that is what makes a film good, right? And to let you all know just how much of a nerd I am, through my tears at the end of the film, the first thing I asked was "who directed that?"...the answer is Edward Zwick. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment