Sunday, November 21, 2010

Inspiration

I've always wanted to have a blog, and I always figured that if I ever went through with it, I would write about movies. I know that a lot of people like to write about movies on the internet, and that's okay, I'm not writing to gain a lot of popularity or prove that I'm unique, instead I'm writing for stability. As my senior year of college quickly comes to an end, I'm not sure what is ahead for me. I have spent the past 21 years of my life, 22 on Tuesday the 30, studying and working towards the goal of graduating from college. In something like 166 days, I will be a full fledged adult, with no money and no schedule, searching for a new goal. Hopefully, this blog gives me some sense of purpose in those first few years as a struggling artist.

If you're looking for some sort of hook that makes this blog interesting, the best I can offer is my own perspective. I'm a student in Digital Filmmaking who hates technology and loves 70s movies. My industry is very uneven in terms of the ratio of men to women, which means I'm kind of an outsider. I go to an all girls school, which means that I live in a very unrealistic bubble, one that I stepped outside of this summer and saw the real world briefly. My taste in films is very random, but usually if I tell you that you will like a movie, I'm right. To summarize, I'm kind of askew in my thinking and taste, hence the name of the blog "The Dutch Angle"...get used to it, that's the kind of humor that I pride myself on.

Recently I just watched the film Julie and Julia. I had been putting it off for a while because I'm not a huge fan of "girly" movies, and on top of it being just over two hours long, one of my film teachers complained that there was a boom mic or pole in every shot with Julia Child. Tonight, however, in a fit of depression, I watched the film and found it quiet inspiring. I did not see any boom mics or poles, which could have been because I was actually captivated enough by the story that I was not looking for them. I actually found myself lost in the film, which is becoming more and more of a rarity these days, and I didn't realize that two hours of my life flew by just like that. The film made me laugh a few times, and tear up a few more, but most importantly it inspired this blog...and made me realize I need to find a very supportive boyfriend/husband before I become a starving artist.

Julie and Julia is not the film I would have planned to do my first post about, but it seemed fitting. In the future, I promise to be more thorough and analytical. I do not, however, promise to choose only "classic" or "prestigious" films to write about. Instead, I will write about whatever I watch, good or bad.

My goal? To get through my Netflix queue (which I assure you is never ending). My deadline? Non-existent. My Schedule? Whenever I watch a film, but guaranteed two posts a week.

Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment